1. Who may obtain a Pistol License?
Alabama State Code provides that the Sheriff of a county shall issue a qualified or unlimited license to a
person residing in the county, and is a suitable person to be licensed. Mike Hale is the Sheriff of Jefferson County.
2. Who may not obtain a pistol license?
2200 Reverend Abraham Woods Jr. Blvd Birmingham, AL 35203
The Sheriff my deny a permit application if a determination has
been made that the
person is prohibited from the possession of a pistol or firearm pursuant to
state or federal law, or has a reasonable suspicion that the person may use a
weapon unlawfully or in such other manner that would endanger the person's self
or others. In making such determination, the sheriff may consider whether the
1. Was found guilty
but mentally ill in a criminal case.
2. Was found not
guilty in a criminal case by reason of insanity or mental disease or defect.
3. Was declared
incompetent to stand trial in a criminal case.
4. Asserted a defense
in a criminal case of not guilty by reason of insanity or mental disease or
5. Was found not
guilty only by reason of lack of mental responsibility under the Uniform Code
of Military Justice.
involuntary inpatient treatment in a psychiatric hospital or similar treatment
involuntary outpatient treatment in a psychiatric hospital or similar treatment
facility based on a finding that the person is an imminent danger to himself or
herself or to others.
8. Required involuntary
commitment to a psychiatric hospital or similar treatment facility for any reason,
including drug use.
9. Is or was the
subject of a prosecution or of a commitment or incompetency proceeding that
could lead to a prohibition on the receipt or possession of a firearm under the
laws of Alabama or the United States.
10. Falsified any
portion of the permit application.
11. Has caused justifiable concern for public
3. How long does the application process take?
The Sheriff’s Office will issue or deny a
Pistol License Application within 30 days of receipt of a completed
4. If denied a Pistol License, can I appeal the
Yes, applicants denied a pistol license will
be informed in writing by the Sheriff’s Office of the denial. The will then have 30 days to file an appeal
with the District Court of Jefferson County.
5. What are the age requirements to obtain a
It is the policy that a license will not be issued to anyone under the age of 18.
6. May a pistol License be revoked?
Yes, Title 13A-11-75 of the State Law provides that the Sheriff may revoke a
7. Is the license valid in other counties?
Yes, Title 13A-11-75 of the State Law says the license is valid within all the
counties of the state.
8. How can a pistol license be renewed?
Mail or bring your old pistol license, along with $7.50 per year of your
renewal period, to one of our offices. Makes checks payable to Mike Hale
Sheriff. Be sure you include your correct address.
1. Sheriff's Headquarters 2200 Reverend Abraham Woods Jr. Blvd
Birmingham, AL 35203
2. Bessemer Sheriff’s Office 1826 2nd Avenue North, Bessemer, AL
Point Sheriff's Substation 2651 Center Point Road, Center Point, AL 35215
9. What is the cost of a Pistol License?
$7.50 per year. Licenses can be
issued for one to five year durations.
10. Where do you obtain an application for a
1. Download an application.
out a blank pistol permit application.
2. Sheriff's Headquarters 2200 8th Avenue North, Birmingham, AL
3. Bessemer Sheriff’s Office 1826 2nd Avenue North, Bessemer, AL
4. Center Point Substation 2651 Center Point Road Center Point, AL
11. Will I be investigated if I make an
application to the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Department for a pistol License?
Yes, we will perform an investigation to see if you have a
previous arrest record or any other factor that would prohibit issuing you a
12. Office Hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00p.m.
Monday through Friday
The phone numbers are:
Downtown Office – 325-5728
Bessemer Office – 481-4201
Center Point -- 856-8800